On July 5, 1905, the Spotsylvania Sunday School Union was formed. This Union was comprised of all the Black Baptist churches in the county, which at that time included: Bethlehem, Beulah, Branch Fork, First New Hope, Little Mine Road, Mount Hope, Mount Olive, Mount Zion, Piney Branch, Second New Hope, Sylvannah, and Zion Hill. Representatives from all of these churches met at St. Luke’s Baptist Church and named themselves the Spotyslvania Sunday School Union (SSSU). The mission of the SSSUnion was and continues to be to provide Christian and formal education for Black youth.
The First SSSU Officers
President: John J. Wright
First Vice President: Homer J. Combs
Second Vice President: J. F. Walker
Secretary: Cora Jackson Wright
Corresponding Secretary: Henry Levi
Treasurer: Virgil G. Williams
One order of business on that very warm July day was to take up a collection for building a future school and when counted, the total of that very promising collection tallied $1.25. The mission of the SSSUnion was and continues to be to provide Christian and formal education for Black youth.
In 1908, the Sunday School Union president purchased 158 acres of land at the cost of three dollars per acre near Snell, Virginia, presently located three miles south of the Spotsylvania Courthouse. Here, Alfred Fairchild, a county carpenter, contractor and builder, began to construct a school building.
In the 1920’s, the first black elementary schools were formed in Spotsylvania County. The elementary school was established to serve the Stubbs area was located directly across from the Branch Fork Baptist Church. Stubbs school was built between 1934-1934.
The Spotsylvania Sunday School Union has a rich and God blessed legacy. The union continues to work with its core churches and like-minded organizations, to promote Christian education and community-building.